Smart Transport Symposium 2016
Friday, August 5, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Held at U.T. Austin’s Thompson Conference Center; get map and parking directions
Hosted in connection with TxDOT Research Project 0-6838 (Bringing Smart Transport to Texans: Ensuring the Benefit of a Connected and Autonomous Transport System in Texas), this symposium is designed to further report on the past year’s research activities for connected- and automated-vehicle (C/AV) systems in Texas, present key findings and smart-transport strategy recommendations, and discuss a complementary, mutually beneficial road of research ahead. Last year’s Smart Transport Symposium was a tremendous success; view the 2015 agenda and presentations.
- 9:30–10:00: Registration and coffee
- 10:05–10:10: Welcome and opening remarks
- 10:10–10:35 Bringing Smart Transport to Texans: Ensuring the Benefit of a Connected & Autonomous Transport System in Texas (Paul Avery, Chris Claudel & Lisa Loftus-Otway) [TxDOT 0-6838]
- 10:35–11:00 An Assessment of Autonomous Vehicles: Traffic Impacts & Infrastructure Needs (Steve Boyles) [TxDOT 0-6847]
- 11:00–11:25 Implications of Automated Vehicles on Safety, Design & Operation of the Texas Highway System (Kara Kockelman) [TxDOT 0-6849]
- 11:25–11:50 Commercial Truck Platooning: Level 2 Automation (Mike Lukuc) [TxDOT 0-6836]
- 11:50–11:55: Morning wrap-up and announcements
- 12:00–12:55: Lunch (served in the main presentation room; seating also available in breakout rooms)
- 12:55–1:10 Automated & Connected Vehicle (AV/CV) Test Bed to Improve Transit, Bicycle & Pedestrian Safety (Katie Turnbull) [TxDOT 0-6875]
- 1:10–1:20 Assessment of Innovative & Automated Freight Systems & Development of Evaluations Tools (Curtis Morgan) [TxDOT 0-6837]
- 1:20–1:45 Policy & Planning Actions to Internalize Societal Impacts of CV & AV Systems into Market Decisions (Ginger Goodin) [NCHRP 20-102(01)]
- 1:45–2:10 New Approaches for Testing Connected Highway & Vehicle Systems (Srini Sunkari) [FHWA BAA No. DTFH61-13-R-0001 Topic 1B]
- 2:10–2:35 Consumer Acceptance & Travel Behavior Impacts of Self Driving Vehicles (Ipek Sener) [TTI – PRC Project]
- 2:35–3:00 Transportation Planning Implications of Automated Vehicles on Texas Highways (Tom Williams) [TxDOT 0-6848]
- 3:00–3:25 SwRI C/AV Technology Demo Coverage (Paul Avery) [TxDOT 0-6838]
- 3:25–3:30 Closing remarks
The symposium will feature presentations of current State of Texas research into C/AV applications, including crash savings, fleet evolution, traffic microsimulations, and smart-tech applications along Texas roadways. Also featured will be videos of connected-vehicle demonstrations on San Antonio highways and the SwRI campus. The day’s on-site luncheon (provided by industry donors) will also provide plenty of networking opportunities.
The presenters will report on key findings and smart-transport strategy recommendations, and discuss a complementary, mutually beneficial road of research ahead. Bringing this diverse group of researchers and practitioners will allow opportunities to initiate complementary and coordinated early implementation of smart transportation projects.