News

Graduate Profile: Tyler Beduhn, M.S.

Photo of Tyler Beduhn 2014

Tyler Beduhn, 2014

Name: Tyler Beduhn
Hometown: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Degree Receiving: Master of Science in Engineering
Advisor: Dr. Stephen Boyles
Area of research: Public transit modeling, passenger routing, dynamic traffic assignment

How does it feel to be graduating?
It is a really great feeling. It is the culmination of all the hard work I’ve put in not only in the last year and a half in this graduate program, but the years of undergraduate before that which got me to this point. I know that I now have the foundation to help me tackle any problems that lie ahead.

Why did you choose to pursue your graduate studies at UT Austin?
Before I accepted my admission offer to UT, I visited Austin and the Transportation Engineering program. After meeting the students and faculty and hearing about the exciting ongoing research, I knew this was the place for me. It is a world-class university and one of the top civil and transportation engineering programs. Austin also seemed like a great place to live.

Looking back, what (or who) influenced you the most during your time at UT Austin?
Of course there is my advisor, Dr. Stephen Boyles, who provided a lot of guidance and inspiration during my studies and research. His expertise and passion for network modeling is really passed on to his students. But I would also have to say the transportation faculty overall have had a strong influence; they challenge the students to think very critically in the problems we work on—more than I have ever experienced before.

What projects did you work on while you were here?
I worked as a graduate research assistant at the Network Modeling Center (NMC) at CTR. I have worked on several projects relating to public transit modeling. This includes developing a route choice model for transit passengers in Austin and integrating a transit assignment model with the dynamic traffic assignment model at NMC. In my recent work I have looked at the influence of travel time and transfer reliabilities on passenger routing. I have also worked with several transit data sources, including passenger counts and vehicle location data, to develop and test our models.

What are your plans after graduation?
I will begin a career with Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. in Reston, VA in January. Until then I’ll wrap up my work at UT, spend some time with family and friends, and then move to Arlington, VA. I’m looking forward to this next exciting step of my life

Posted by Maureen Kelly  |  Category : Network Modeling Center