News

Graduate Profile, Li Wang, Ph.D.

Name: Li Wang
Hometown: Beijing, China
Advisor: Dr. Fernanda Leite
Area of research: Knowledge formalization and reuse in BIM-based design coordination in new building projects

Li and fellow research graduates from CEPM on during Explore UT.

How does it feel to be graduating?
It reminds me of the saying “it always seems impossible until it’s done”. I feel very grateful for the help and support from many people throughout this journey, for the late nights I spent in the office and for all the obstacles that I have overcome from the beginning till the end.

Why did you choose to pursue your graduate studies at CTR/UT Austin?
The Department of Civil Engineering at UT has an esteemed academic reputation worldwide. The graduate program in Construction Engineering and Project Management (CEPM) provides a variety of well-structured courses taught by world-renowned professors, and its special connection with the Construction Industry Institute (CII) was also a great attraction to me when I applied.

Li and Bevo

Li and Bevo

Looking back, who influenced you the most during your time at UT Austin?
My advisor, Dr. Fernanda Leite. She is the best advisor you can ever have. I have learned so much from her, as a researcher, a female professional in Engineering and a life mentor.
I can never thank her enough for her persistent support, guidance, encouragement and trust. Her patience and enthusiasm has motivated me to overcome many obstacles throughout my PhD study and I will be always thankful for that.

What projects did you work on while you were here?
I worked on a TxDOT project on Work Zone Safety for Very Short Duration Operations from 2010 to 2012 and a FIATECH project on automated code compliance checking from 2012 to 2014.

What are your plans after graduation?
I am interested in information technology advancement in the construction industry, and hope to mature up as a professional consultant or researcher in Building Information Modeling (BIM) or related fields.

Posted by Joey Williams  |  Category : Student Spotlight