News

Graduate Profile: Juan-Pablo Gevaudan, B.S.

Name: Juan Pablo Gevaudan
Hometown: San Cristobal, Venezuela
Advisor: Dr. Maria Juenger
Area of research: Alternative supplementary cementitious materials
Juan Pablo Gevaudan at graffiti structure, City of Austin skyline

How does it feel to be graduating?
Graduation is a bittersweet feeling as I look to what I have done in my four years as an undergraduate at UT, and to what I will do in graduate school. I am reminiscent of the experiences that I have had in my undergraduate career. These experiences range from being a part of the Engineers for a Sustainable World’s leadership to even walking my first-year commute from my residence hall to the engineering area. Yet, I am excited about the future as I will meet new people, work on great materials research, and learn many new ideas.

Looking back, what influences had the greatest impact during your time at UT Austin?
Many factors and people have shaped my life throughout my years in UT Austin. Starting with the excellent faculty that inspired me during my Civil Engineering degree and Architecture minor. Their own success and stories always encouraged me to achieve greater things and persevere. Secondly, research has shaped my life-vision and ideas to be more refined and focused on how I would like to contribute to academia, the realm of ideas. My career goals have been refined from wanting to be an environmental engineer to now wanting to investigate materials’ ability to remove pollutants from the environment. This research aims to shaping our urban architecture and provide for a more resilient natural environment. Finally, my colleagues during these undergraduate years have pushed me to defy limits, break boundaries, and always strive to do my best. I would not be in the position that I am now without any of them.

What projects did you work on while you were here?
I have had the great opportunity to work as an undergraduate research assistant on a project sponsored by the Texas Department of Transportation — TX 0-6717. During this project I have learnt many analytical techniques to identify and assess alternative supplementary cementitious materials that can be used to make more durable concrete. Moreover, working on Dr. Juenger’s research team, with my graduate student mentor Saamiya Seraj, has been an invaluable experience. The leadership, guidance, and attention that I have gotten has truly impacted my research goals and has made me look forward to performing quality research in graduate school. Not only have I learnt how to operate complex machinery like the calorimeter and X-ray diffraction, I have also learnt simple things like leaving your work area cleaner than what you found it. All in all, I feel that I have grown tremendously from these experiences, as an individual, as a researcher, and as member of a research team.

What are your plans after graduation?
After graduation, I plan to travel in the summer and spend time with family. In August, I will begin my adventure to receive a Ph.D. in Architectural Engineering at the University of Colorado at Boulder in August. Once there, I will be researching sustainable materials, in specific permeable concrete. My research will focus on the durability, pollutant removal, and watershed implementation of this sustainable concrete. It is my hope that with this research the world will be a little bit closer to having a more sustainable and resilient urban-natural fabric.

Juan Pablo with friends

Posted by Joey Williams  |  Category : Student Spotlight